:)

November 20, 2005

Ganjeolgot, Jung An Sa temple, and going to church

Kevin, our friend Jared(sp?) ad myself went touring around on our motorbikes around the coast between Ulsan and Busan on Saturday. Here's the pictures:

















Ganjeolgot, the most eastern point of Northeast Asia.
















It's always pretty here.
















The three of us sat down for some drinks in the sun. The weather was cool, maybe around 10 degrees.
















Ulsan is in the distance.
















Those are some large sea vessels.
















Here's some ajosshis (older men) making the best of their day. The one guy was having some fun on the swing. I like how they dress. Lots of class.
















There's a nuclear power plant here.
















Do these people actually catch any fish this way???
















Maybe I should rent a boat and go fishing sometime.
















Here's where they keep the wave-breakers.
















Entering Jung An Sa (temple).
















There were some pretty scenes.
















Temples are so nice to visit.
















Here's a nice photograph.

















Who's been feeding this rock?
















One of these things just doesn't belong here;
One of these things just isn't the same...
















We sat down and had some tea here. I had cinnimon tea.
















Hey, I didn't know that Gandolf came to Korea!




After we got back to Ulsan, Kevin and I decided to go to a Jimjillbawng (bath/sauna house). There's a decent place by my house, so we spend a few hours relaxing in various saunas and hot and cool pools. The saunas ranged in temperature from - a few degrees to 94 degrees celcius.

After that, we went into a few board game cafes. We were hoping to find Risk, but couldn't find it (we found a futuristic version, but that's not what we wanted). The board game cafes feature a number of different board games that you can play. You get a table and it costs 1500 won an hour.

After that search in vanity, Kev and I headed into a PC bawng (room), looking to play some computer games. We played Counterstrike for a bit, but the computers weren't liking us very much. We gave up on them (I did long before Kevin did) and went to my place and played a bit of X-Box and watched some TV. Then it was late, so Kev went home and I went to bed.

I woke up on Sunday with the ambition to go to church. I managed to make my way to the Ulsan Simin Presbyterian Church, which is the closest church to me with an English service. I wish that I took some pictures, because the church looks really cool. Futuristically cool. Maybe I'll get some next week.

The English service was at noon, and headed by a guy names Missionary Bill. It's a really huge church, but the English service had maybe only about 40 people today. There's a seperate sanctuary for the English service. The main sanctuary is much larger. The service itself consisted of a number of songs, a sermon and then some announcements.

Following the service, one of the Korean members took the entire English congragation of for lunch. Sweet! We had Korean pork BBQ, and it was awesome as usual.

After that, we went back to the church. They were having a large and entertaining service. It consisted of 12 different acts, equipped with lights, smoke, etc.; each doing something different. I found out that the English group had an act. We were to sing a couple of songs in front of the Korean congragation. Much to my delight, the main sanctuary is a good size. It, including an upper balcony, probably seats around 500 or more. It was a packed house. We were the 8th act. During it, we sang one Korean song and one English song (The Lord's Prayer in song form). Some of the other acts included a lot of choreographed dancing and people singing songs. One group, a group of about a dozen children, sang a song (in Korean of course). The kids were probably between the ages of 7 and 12. Each one of them had to sing a solo line. The little ones were adorable. They were great to watch.

By the time that I left the church, it was around 8 o'clock. I'd spent 8 hours in church! I guess that makes up for some of the time that I hadn't been going to church since I've been here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom and I went to church yesterday also and were back home in about 20 minutes. 4 people showed up. We are definately not doing well without a Minister. So what do you want for Christmas - money in your bank account? Aunt K

November 22, 2005 3:23 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home