:)

September 14, 2005

New Job

I went to work at ILS today, for what I thought would be my last day. It turned out that I had worked my last day yesterday. My boss decided to tell me not to bother working today. Apparently he thought that if I worked today, then I would be at six months. I made sure to tell him that, according to my contract, which says that my first day of work is my first day in Korea, I had already worked for six months. Susan, the manager and the boss' lacky/bitch, told me that I was reading the contract wrong. What a brown-noser. Next, I told them that I did not receive any notice of being fired, something which was required. Yet again, I was told that I didn't need any notice. Liars and thieves they are. Next, I told them that I required pay stubs for the six months that I worked. I told them that it was my right to be informed of what my deductions were from my regular pay. I told them that I wanted to know exactly how much tax I was paying. They refused to give me any statement, and told me that it wasn't a big deal. My guess is that they are just pocketing the tax money and ripping of the government. I simple visit to the tax board should clear that one up.

The point is that the director is a cheap man that is just trying to get some money anyway that he can, including lying and stealing from both his employees and from the Korea government (apparently).

So, I left ILS with a smile on my face; knowing that I was no longer working for that asshole any longer.

So I headed for my apartment. Right before I got there, I ran into my friend Ken. Ken works at Elite school, which is one block away from my old school. I told him the short version of my story, and he told me that he was moving to Seoul to be with his girlfriend. To make a long story short, I will be replacing him at the beginning of October. We rode our motorbikes to Elite Academy and he introduced me to his boss, Mr. Lee (now there's an original name). Mr. Lee seems like a pretty good guy. Also, Elite Academy has a good reputation amoung the foreigners here. He talked to me for a half hour or so, and invited me back on Tuesday at 3:00 to sign a contract. I've read it though and it's quite well written. He'll even pay me for my "planeflight" here; 700,000 won. Kind of like a signing bonus I guess. The pay is 2.0 million/month. I talked to Richard, the Korean manager there, as well. He got along quite well to. Anyway, after the interviews, I sat down in four of Ken's classes and just observed him teach. I think that I picked up quite a few ideas for teaching, so it was definetely worth the four hours that I spent sitting in his classes.

Elite Academy seems like a much better run and organized place than ILS. They've been in business for quite a few years, and a lot of my friends from Tombstone work there. It really seems like a great atmosphere. So, assuming that I'll be working there in a bit, I'll do a comparison of the two schools in a month or so.

It also looks like I'll have a bit of vacation time. I have from now until Tuesday at 3:00pm to do whatever I want. On that date, I have a contract signing with Mr. Lee. Then I'm free again until the next Monday, when I'll probably have to go to Japan in order to process my work visa. Then I'll begin working the next Tuesday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job!! Atleast you didn't let the last experience scare you away. Have fun and good luck!

September 15, 2005 12:02 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blake check your e-mail for info.

Aunt Karen

September 15, 2005 12:14 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blake it is me again. Go to www.voyage.gc.ca and then under search type "Teaching English in Korea" this will give you all kinds of information (18 pages when I printed it out). This may help other Canadians in the teaching profession also. I am going to send you another e-mail with some more questions, PLEASE look at this!!!

Aunt Karen

September 15, 2005 4:05 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job!

Some Korean businessmen have no ethics whatsoever (and that includes the ones at my parents' church, and especially my old boss). I could give you a list almost (but not quite) as long as your own LOL ... the girl who replaced me is having some moral issues with the job...

-- Sarah

September 15, 2005 9:21 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home