:)

September 12, 2005

Daegu

So on Saturday evening, my buddy Alain and myself decided to check out Daegu. Daegu is a major city that's a little over an hour northeast of Ulsan on the bus.

Daegu is a city of around 2.5 million people, so it's quite a bit larger than Ulsan. It definetely felt more cosmopolitan (well, by Korean standards anyway). From what I saw, people seemed to dress a little more stylish. As well, people seemed to look somewhat different. I'm not really sure how, but they just looked different. Alain originally pointed this out to me, and I now agree. I guess that they just interbread with people from their own region.

We arrived there at about 7:00pm and took the subway downtown. We found a sushi restaurant and chowed down. After that, we decided to look for some clubs to party at. After hours of searching, we eventually ended up in a place called Gypsy Rock. Before that though, we (meaning "I") was hungry again. We found another Japanese restaurant and ordered some okonomiyaki.

If you don't know what okonomiyaki is, then you are missing out. Some people call it "Japanese pizza". I think it's more like an omlette. It's kind of hard to explain what it is. I'll have to take a picture of it next time. It seems to be like an omlette made with eggs and flour, with a lot of things mixed in. I've had it three times now. Once on Hiroshima, once in Fukuoka and now once in Daegu. The other ingrediants have been things like cabbage, beef, pork, onions, seafood, special sauce, etc. Twice, it's had fish flakes on top, which is actually really good. You could probably add just about anything to it, just like an omlette or a pizza.


A picture of okonomiyaki that I stole from a random site.

So after eating at the Japanese restaurant, we went into Gypsy Rock.

Gypsy rock is a pretty big club with multiple levels. Each level played different music, although all of the music seems to be different brands of hip-hop. The music kind of sucked to be honest. That's probably because I don't like hip-hop. At least the girls were good looking and would talk and dance with me.

After leaving the club at around 4:30am, we took a cab to the red light district of Daegu. After being in the hostess bar the night before in Ulsan, I was curious to see a Korean red light district. The area was essentially four blocks large. The buildings were all windowed, with rather bored looking girls sitting around in night gowns. If I was looking for a girl to be with for the night, these girls sure didn't look like much fun. They looked very indifferent to whatever was going on around them. It was quite a contrast to the night before, where even my conservatively-meloncholly friend was full of smiles and had a good attitude.

It wasn't long before I got bored of that area. We sat down at a street vendor and ate some food, while waiting for 5:30 to appear on the clock. Somewhere around 5:30, we took a cab to the bus station and were on our way back to Ulsan. Unfortunately, I was so tired that I slept until 3:30pm. My originaly plan for Sunday was to see if I could get the Phillippeno girl from the night before to go to church with me, but sleeping until 3:30 killed that idea.

Overall Daegu is a pretty cool city, even though I would say that I had a boring time overall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home