:)

March 01, 2006

I've become a Korean spelling teacher

I've turned into an expert on Korean spelling. I finally saw evidence of that today, in one of my grade 4 classes.

Between classes, I'm in a habit of hanging around in my class at least half the time, as opposed to hanging out in the teachers lounge. Most of the students seem to like me being around, and we talk and play little games on the chalkboard. During one of these breaks, I was hanging out with a group of grade 4 girls. Their game was to draw a picture on the board, and someone had to guess what it was in English. I made sure to impress them all, by writing 'butterfly'(nabi/나비) in Korean, instead of drawing the picture. Naturally, they were all very ammused at my Korean abilities. One of the girls wrote 'hello' (annyeonghasaeyo/안영하세요) in order to see if I could, indeed, read it. Much to everyone's amusement, she spelled it wrong (annyeonghaseeyo/안영하시요). When I corrected her, the kids seemed pretty impressed. I did feel a little bad for showing her up though...

...or did I?



I've just realized that I'm bragging about my skills to say and spell 'hello' in Korean, and that I've been here for a year. What does that say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home