:)

May 29, 2006

Odaiba

I would describe Odaiba as the 'futureland' of Tokyo. If you've ever been to Disney, then you know what I'm talking about. Actually, I think it might be more like some of the technology pavilions at Disney Epcot Center in Florida. Either way, Odaiba is really cool. I went here a few weeks ago, saw a bunch of stuff and took a bunch of photographs.

To get here, I took the Yurikamome train. This is an automatic train (un-manned) that runs on rubber wheels. It is the smoothest train ride that I've ever experienced, although the Maglev (magnet train; it levitates above the tracks via magnets) is probably even smoother. I took the Yurikamome to the beginning of the Rainbow Bridge, and then got off. Instead of riding the train right to where I wanted to go, I crossed the bridge on foot instead. It was a very nice, but windy, walk. I would like to take a ferry there as well sometime.

















A scaled-down model of the Statue of Liberty, with the Rainbow Bridge (named because it's lit up in different colours at night) and the Tokyo skyline in the background.

















Here I am at the base of the Rainbow Bridge, on the Tokyo side.

















Just a cool view.

















Another cool view.

















I really like this picture. This is part of the highway, with the Yurikamome track in the middle.

















Looking towards Odaiba, on the bridge.
















I think this boat looks cool.

















I am looking back towards Tokyo here.

















Hmmm... this is just more of the same.

















I'm not really sure what this greenery is. Maybe I'll check it out someday. That futuristic looking building in the centre is the Fuji TV building.

















A shot of the beach, and some apartments. See the ferris wheel? I think Japanese and Korean people must be obsessed with them. I don't know if I've seen a decent sized city in either country that did not have a large ferris wheel or three. They do look pretty sweet at nighttime, when they're lit up...

















I was imagining that I was on a tropical island.

















Some people mucking around on the beach. It was pretty hot this day, but I didn't see any girls with no shirts on. I'll keep looking, and report in when I see some.

















The whole area behind the sand is boardwalk. There are quite a few malls, stores and cool restaurants there. While there, I took the advice of a certain ZZ Top song and bought myself some cheap sunglasses.

















Again, have I wanted into some sort of tropical paradise?

















That crazy building in the background is called 'Tokyo Big Sight.' It's a convention centre.

















Here's one of the many gnarly restaurants. This one was called 'The Longboard Cafe.' They gave it a real classic California feel. Hey! I'll be in California in only about a month and a half. Weeeeeeee!!!

















I had a chili cheese dog and chips. I may or may not have drank a few Coronas.

















This place is called 'Decks'. It's probably called that because it's built on a large deck. The botton level is all boardwalk. It's a pretty cool shopping mall.

















I also went to the Toyoda showroom, where all the flashy new cars were on display.

















Wouldn't those be fun to race...

















This is cute. They had an elevated track around the place where you could take this for a test drive.

















They even had some crazy looking concept cars. This one looks like a neo-classic albino batmobile.

















Whoa! (said in a Keanu Reeves voice)


















That's all folks!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some pretty impressive pictures. No wonder some people I know like it over there so much. I did not realize there were beaches in town and palm trees (guess I need to travel more). Looked like you were on holidays somewhere.

Aunt K

May 30, 2006 11:24 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home