:)

April 18, 2005

Ultimate frisbee and karaoke.

My friend Dave invited me to a Norae-bang(Karaoke) on Saturday night, with four Korean girls. Of course I had to go. There was no choice. It turned out to be a great time.

Matt also came with us, but left about halfway though. He didn't even sing songs by himself. He mostly just hung out.

Anyway, after everyone else had sung a few songs, I had no idea what I wanted to sing. I told Dave to pick a song for me. The next thing I knew, I was singing: "It's raining men, haleluja; it's raining men, amen...". I gave it my all too. I really put my lungs into it. I was just like George Michael, any member of N-Sync, or the lead singer of Wham(that group from the early 80s). Luckly by the end of the song, I remembered that I liked girls.

I made a mental note to never sing that song again.

After I finished, the girls game me a huge round of applause and told me that I was a great singer.

I made a mental note to sing that song everything that I do karaoke.

The girls were absolutely great singers. One of them was really impressive. She could switch between Korean, English and Japanese at will; singing songs in all three languages for the four hours that we were there. She had an amazing voice too; hitting all of the notes in a Mariah Carey song that she sang. She rocked.

My best songs were probably Welcome to the Jungle (Guns and Roses), Light My Fire (The Doors), and La Bamba (Los Lobos).

Near the end of the night, one of the girls began singing a Korean version of It's Raining Men. Stupidly, I joined in for the English choruses.

I made a mental note to myself to never sing that song again.

Yet again, the girls gave me a great applause and congratulations on my great singing.

I made a mental note to myself to always sing that song during karaoke.

The scary part is that I didn't drink any alcohol during this whole thing, and willingly sang that song. At least it was in front of a bunch of cute girls. If it wasn't, then there would be a major problem.

After karaoke, the girls went home(why?!?!?), and Dave and I went to the bar to play pool. I drank some water there. Everyone thought that I was crazy for drinking water, and not beer. One of the girls told me that I should play ultimate frisbee on Sunday. She was cute. Then I went home.


I woke up on Sunday, at the crack of noon, to the sound of my parents calling my hand phone. After talking to them, I got dressed and made my way to the park to play frisbee. There are exactly two whip marks on my back.

I was a great time though. We played for a good three or four hours, I made a few good catches and ended up with field burns and blood stains all over my bare legs. I am tired and sore. It was a good game. I'll probably play again next Sunday.

Following frisbee, we all went to a Korean resturant. Each table had a large frying pan on it. The servers put whatever it was that we ordered (chicken, rice, veggies and some cheese) in it and fried it up in front of us. It was really cool, and it tasted good. We each had a small bowl, in which to scoop some food from the pan into. We had chopsticks and spoons to eat our food with. I realized that I've become very accustomed to using chopsticks when I looked around and realized that everyone else at my table was eating with their spoons. What?!? I like using chopsticks! You don't have to scoop the rice up from the bowl with them. You just grab the food and stick it in your mouth. It's easier with chopsticks! It's the same way with soup. I just take the solid food out with the chopstick and then drink the liquid from the bowl.




Wow. I can't believe I just wrote that... and wasn't lying about it. Next I'll be carrying my own chopsticks in my back pocket to the bar, so that I can eat poutine with them.



Following my display of superior chopstick skill in front of my waygook(foreign) friends, Fin(a guy from Canada; brother of the cute girl who invited me to play frisbee who's going out with some guy named Keith. I don't like Keith.) and myself went to a foreign bar called Benchwarmers. It was pretty cool there. We watched Dazed & Confused on their big screen TV and BSed for awhile with whoever would listen (mostly another Canadian and a rugby player with a bummed ankle, who tried to convince me into joing the "Ulsan Ulgy Playboys" rugby team. No thanks, I'll just stick to ultimate frisbee. After that I rode home on the back of Fin's Honda bike. It goes fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home