:)

April 28, 2005

The post without a title

Last weekend was another good time here in Ulsan. Friday night involved me doing a little bit of 10-pin (the kind with the big balls) bowling. My scored were a terrible 74 and 50 points. I'm pretty sure that I ended up back at Tombstone after that.

Saturday night was even greater, although perhaps a little bit less memorable. I blame the German beer.

It was Anne's (and also Colleen's, a few days before) birthday. To celebrate, a bunch of went to an all you can eat/ all the beer you can drink(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) resturant called Trevi's(?) near the Lotte Hotel downtown. Of course some of us made the climb to the helipad on top of the hotel for the best view of the city. The food was excellent; ranging from speghetti and meat sauce to sushi. The cost was 14,000 won for males and 12,000 won for females. Also at the resturant was a microbrewery, which supplied the resturant with four or five different kinds of beer on tap. I happily indulged in their darkest ale... multiple times.

Following that, we were off to a street cafe somewhere downtown. I enjoyed some cheap draft, while some of the girls got into peach soju. A group of Korean girls inside the cafe were celebrating a birthday, and were eating cake. When you go out for a birthday here (at least, where I've been), the resturant likes to play a birthday song over the loud speakers. When they were playing the song for the Korean girls, our birthday girls (Anne and Colleen) started dancing. Those sweet Korean girls realized that they weren't the only ones celebrating and came outside to share their cake with the foreign girls! That was very impressive and wonderful of them.

To cap off the the last few hours of daylight, we went bar-hopping to some of the foreign bars in the area. We checked out Benchwarmers and the Royal Anchor. I'd been to Benchwarmers before, but the Royal Anchor was new to me. It was a good sized bar with a live jam band. It had a great atmosphere. Apparently it's usually dead, but on that Saturday night it was a good place to be. I spend most of the time playing pool with a girl who know about as much English as I did Korean. It was a good time.

Sunday was a nice and lazy day for me. I didn't even make it out far enough to play frisbee with the USLUTS. I did make to bowling in the evening though. On my lane were a couple of veterns to Korea; Steve and some guy named Dan from Gatineau. Actually, I think he said he was from Aylmer. Anyway, he played a few games with the Quebec Nordiques in the early 80s. That was pretty cool. In a complete contrast to Friday night, I scored a 145 and a 121. Those are respectable scores as far as I can tell!

On Tuesday night, I joined the "Tombstoners" bowling "team". I even got a sweet bowling shirt out of the deal. Whoohoo!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Speaking of being bumped down the links list...

Annyong haseyo? Chal Chinaesseyo?
Odi kayo? Kamsa hamnida.

I am smart.

April 30, 2005 7:30 a.m.

 
Blogger Blake said...

Ya, revenge is sweet. I'll make sure to move you back up when you're in Chosan. ;)

kamsa hamnida = kamsamnida

That's how I hear it anyway.

I have no idea what Chal Chinaesseyo and Odi kayo means. What do they mean?

April 30, 2005 5:53 p.m.

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Chal chinaesseyo basically means both "how are you" and "I'm fine" depending on intonation. And Odi kayo means "where are you going?"

That's according to a book, though, so who know's if they're actually used.

Have you been picking up any Korean while over there? Can you read Hangul?

May 01, 2005 11:28 a.m.

 
Blogger Blake said...

I can read Hangul just fine. As you know, it's not too hard to figure out.

It's good for reading maps, so that you know where you are if they aren't in English.

I've picked up a few Korean phrases here and there, but not too much. I haven't been studying, so I just learn what I hear right now.

May 02, 2005 12:30 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home