:)

April 03, 2005

Beautiful Busan

It was raining when we arrived in Busan(Pusan) from Japan.

Matt decided that it would be a good idea to act like tourists, and check out the Busan tower. It was only a few stops away on the subway, so we got off at the nearest station to the mini-tourist trap and made our way up the many hills to get to the tower. Billy, from the US, was with us on this trip. We'd met him on the ferry coming from Japan and he decided to accompany us. We were happy to have him along. He'd been in Korea for years, so he had a lot of good stories for us.

When we arrived at the tower grounds, I was pleasantly surprised to see what I saw. The area was very clean and well-kept. There really are nice things to see in Korea! I'll definetely have to check more things out in this country.

In front of the tower is a statue of some Korean hero. I have no idea who it would be though. Maybe it's someone from the Choson or Silla dynasty. Maybe it's even a statue of King Sejong himself.

Next to the tower, is a small, open building, with a very large bell in it. I was tempted to ring it; letting all of Busan know that the Canadians had invaded. Colleen dragged me away just before I'd completed my goal of Canadian domination. I was so close to being emperor of South Korea. I was even going to challenge Kim Jung Il to a duel, defeat him and reunify the country with I was the leader of the Korean peninsula. Now the world will never know my greatness.

Back to the tower.

The tower is standing on top of a 69-meter hilltop, while the tower itself stands at a height of 120-meters. In contrast, the CN tower in Toronto is 553.33 meters high. Even still, the Busan tower is a good height. It provides an awesome view of the city, as shown in my photos.

It's also, like most tall towers, a bit of a tourist trap. At it's base, there is a aquarium. As well, it's walls, inside, are lined with things to buy. The most interesting this was a man who created wood-burned portraits of just about anything. He would do landscapes, pictures of various things and self-portraits. The prices were also quite reasonable, as a self portrait seemed to be around 500,000 won; give or take.

Following the tower, we made our way back to Ulsan. Overall, Busan is a city worth checking out.


The Busan Tower, courtesy of www.hanatour.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home