:)

January 29, 2005

Ahhhh....the joys of interviews with young Korean girls...

Today was...interesting.

My Korean experience today started out with a phone call from the good folks at CanadianswithSeouls.com. I can't say anything except nice things about these guys. They were extremely helpful and friendly on the phone. The guy basically asked me what type of job I was looking for and talked to me for well over an hour; answering any questions that I had. If anyone is actually reading this and is considering teaching English in South Korea...do not hesitate! Go to www.canadianswithseoul.com and apply. They are really awesome.

Later this evening, I got a phone call with my Korean recruiter friend again. She switched jobs on me. This time it's a job in Ansan; a subburb of Seoul of about 1 million people and on the Seoul subway line system. It is south of Seoul, unlike Ilsan which is northwest. She talked to me for about a half hour or so and answered my questions as best as she could. I had some concerns about the contract that she sent me from the Ansan Wonderland school. She happily altered the contract to my apparent liking... in other words, she rephrased the contract and really changed nothing. Oh well. What did I expect. She then informed me that I would have an interview with Jennifer, a girl from the school, in about an hour(about 9:00 CST). I got a call from the recruiter at about 10:00 saying that Jennifer was busy and would call me in about an hour. Right....here we go, eh? At around midnight, or 3:00pm Seoul time, she called me. To my dismay, I found out that she was not the boss; but was an assistant teacher who has only been working there since December. At least her English was pretty good! I had no problems understanding her. Come to think of it, she sounded extremely attractive. I think I'm going to really like being in Korea... Oh yes... She told me that she thought that the four foreign teachers that worked there liked their jobs very much(3 are Canadians). I asked for their phone numbers and e-mails. She said that she didn't have them, but would call me again on Monday and try to give me them then. To be honest, I was more excited about hearing this girls voice on the phone agian. She sounds that sweet. Anyway, that will be the determining factor for me teaching at this school or not; the opinions of these that work there. That's assuming that I can actually get their phone numbers and e-mail addresses. I'd love to get a hold of some former teachers too.

All in all, I'm very surprised at how fast things seem to be progressing with this. They must really want a lot of ESL teachers in Korea!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Blake,

I saw your blog url on Korea Life Blog (not promoting yourself...sure.. ;) ) I did the same thing; starting a blog after reading Shawn's, that is. I'm going to Korea in June through Footprints Recruiting. They seem pretty reputable. I hope so anyway. Perhaps you should give them a try.

Best of luck!

Jessica

January 31, 2005 5:25 a.m.

 
Blogger Blake said...

Well, maybe I'm promoting myself a little.:D Really though, this is for my family and friends to read so that I can save a bit on phone bills;). Also, so that anyone with experience teaching ESL might read what I'm doing and offer some, hopefully, helpful advice(thanks for the Footprints recommendation!!!). Of course, this is a bit of a journal so that I can reflect on what I'm doing and hopefully improve myself a bit. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, right?

I think that Shawn has had a pretty big influence on a good number of people; whether he knows it or not. I sent him an e-mail thanking him for telling the world about his adventures. He responded by devoting 75% of his e-mail to promoting his book.:D Then again, I did tell him that I was planning to buy it...eventually.

I've read good things about Footprints on Dave's cafe. I seems that Footprints and Canadians(and Kiwis) with Seoul have the best reputations there amoung the billions and billions of recruiting companies. I'm in contract with CanadianswithSeoul and Orange recruiting. I'm finding that Orange is really pushing a job on me and it's actually a bit annoying. CanadianswithSeoul has been treating me wonderfully so far.

January 31, 2005 11:08 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home